[TowerTalk] Optimum Stacking Distance

Tõnno Vähk Tõnno Vähk"
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:48:16 +0300

As I have found the presence of the undriven antenna is effecting the gain
and F/B a lot.

Actually in a stack of two the lower undriven antenna decreases the gain of
the upper one by about 1db if turned into the same direction.
That is almost half of the stacking gain!! That's why I think that the
upper-lower-stack tests might sometimes lead you to wrong conclusions - to
think that your stack is performing better than it actually is.  The effect
of the lower antenna vanishes when you turn the upper about 40 degrees (for
6 el owa yagis).

Some other tips/ideas I have come to when testing and modelling:

Don't place yagis in a stack lower than 1 wl!
    If it is a three or four stack you really don't get more gain from the
low antenna and if you want high angles you can switch the other antennas.

Don't stack different beams, you lose gain!
    Try to avoid stacking different beams as you usually get the gain of a
stack of the lower gain beams if even that much.

Put the beam with higher gain lower in the stack!
    I have found that gives you more gain. If you still want to stack
different beams, say 1wl boom and 0.75 wl boom then put the longer boom
lower on the
    tower as models suggest that the lower gain beam desperately wants to be
higher to work better. I think most of the people would be tempted to put
their "killer"
    beam to the top:)

73s
Tonno