[TowerTalk] KT-34XA - KT-36XA Upgrade

JClymerjr@aol.com JClymerjr@aol.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:34:18 EDT

Recently, Bruce Makas, K1MY inquired about the KT-34XA to KT-36XA upgrade kits from M2.

Yes, I have completed the upgrade conversion. In a nutshell – it’s a LOT of work. I would be embarrassed to reveal how long the process took to complete. (I went for the full bore, including all new element-to-boom clamps, and pinning all element joints, as in the KT-36XA.)

Mechanically, this “new” antenna is very impressive. It is a major improvement over the KLM design. I can’t comment about on-the-air performance, because the ant is currently nested at 20 feet. The SWR sweep looks pretty clean an all three bands.

The main reason for this post is to mention an omission (or at least, a confusing situation) in the conversion instructions. The confusion involves how you install the half-element assemblies. I talked with Mike at M2 and got the needed clarification.

This is too long and specific to post in this forum. If you are interested in this clarification, shoot me a private email.

Thanks – Jim

WS6X@ARRL.NET

-----