[TowerTalk] Re: Certified rigger

krishna kkanakas@cisco.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:39:26 -0400

Pete,
 Thanks for the note.
 Will take a look at PVRC.

 Its been a long wait since i requested for the permit.
 I submitted a permit request for a roof mounted tower .
 This town inspector advised that it is better  not to
 put it on the roof. I did like the idea, since the homeowners
 assoc. also did recommend the same.

 I am not bound to take their recommendation, but i still wanted
 to make folks happy and keep the aesthetics intact as other people
 wish.

 So i went ahead, submitted revised plans for the ground mounted Rohn 25.
 He asked me for the Ice loading for the tower and the antenna,
 which i sent to him promptly.

 It is 3 weeks, and when i used to contact him, which was once a week,
 he would say that he was quite busy. The last week , i was told that
 he is sending me a written letter. Nothing showed up.

 I gave him a week , this morning, i got hold of him in person and he
 said that he is sending me a letter as to what needs to be done.

 Looks likely that he wants a rigger to do it.

 It is also the requirement of the town code.

 This is the link to the zoning ordinance.

http://fws.municode.com/CGI-BIN/om_isapi.dll?advquery=antenna&infobase=10218.nfo&record={2448}&s1=%2fCGI-BIN%2fom_isapi.dll%3finfobase%3d10218.nfo%26record%3d{D3}%26softpage%3dmccdoc&softpage=mccdochits

The original application was submitted in the first week of June.
I am patiently waiting, since taking up arms with these guys would not work.
It would cut the lines of communication.

The zoning administrator is a person, who is prompt in returning calls and is
friendly.
I might consider escalating it. But looks like the need for the rigger is a
requirement.

 Btw, i even picked up the volunteer consulting engineer info for a person in
the area from ARRL.
 I used the contact info for him from Qrz.com and sent him an email. No
response.
 The address as listed by Arrl is the persons old address. This was about a
week ago.
 I might have to contact the other ones.

Its a wait and watch game.
Anyway, thanks for asking.

73's
 krish

Pete Smith wrote:

> Hi Krish -- and welcome to the area.  You may want to check out the Potomac
> Valley Radio Club web page at www.pvrc.org.
>
> On your question -- I don't know where you live, but just on instinct I
> would not take that building inspector at his word.  I'm not sure I even
> know what a "certified rigger" is, unless we're talking about the type of
> people who install major industrial equipment and do steel building
> construction.  That would be ludicrous overkill.
>
> I've only lived in the area for 30 years, but I've never heard of such a
> requirement being imposed on any ham towers, much less little ones.  I
> think I'd ask for written proof of this requirement before acting on what
> you've been told.
>
> The ARRL (www.arrl.org) has volunteer consulting engineer and volunteer
> legal counsel programs that probably include someone in your area.  It
> wouldn't be a bad idea to contact one or both for advice if you don't make
> headway with the authorities.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----