[TowerTalk] Pier pin vs. burying in concrete- Definition time

Hank Lonberg kr7x@gte.net
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 13:44:32 -0700

Brian:

Ice is very strong in compresson but has low tension shear strength. IF
your base is iced over and has enough torsion to cause it to move it
will move. I don't feel the ice would be a problem for torsional
rotation of the base.

Hank

alsopb wrote:

> How does the presence of a 1/2 to 1" thick coating of ice on the tower
> base and plate affect the ability of the plate to rotate?
>
> It seems that kind of condition is exactly when the added safety
> factor is needed.
>
> It isn't a rare event in some parts of the country.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>
> Hank Lonberg wrote:
> >
> > All:
> >

> > The use of a UHMW plastic plate at the steel concrete interface is
> > something to consider to act as a low friction washer might be a good
> > idea if one really wants to allow for positive rotation of the base.
> >
> > Enough of this, as you can see a pin is a pin and a fixed base is a
> > fixed base as all can plainly see.............
> >
> > Ciao
> >
> > Hank / KR7X
> >
> > List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
> > for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up to
> > 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">
> > www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
> >
> > -----
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
>
> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us