[TowerTalk] Breaking up guy wires for nonresonance

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:18:51 -0600

Guy Insulator Placement   de   N4KG   (Feb 2000)

The following lengths between insulators have
resonances between the conventional bands
(which places their resonancesin the WARC bands :-)
-  27, 40, 58, and 76 ft.  (per ARRL  Antenna Book)

You may want to make your wires slightly shorter
to compensate for the capacitive end loading of the
loops through the insulators.

You need to place the first insulator as close to the
tower as possible to prevent coupling to continuous
wire from one insulator, through the tower, to another
insulator.

For the first insulated section, I like to use a short
piece of 10 to 12 ft between insulators.  This length
is substantially less than 1/2 wavelength (WL) on
10M and will therefore be nearly invisible on all frequencies
below 28 MHz.  For even better isolation, use two 10-12
ft sections before going to longer spans.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Fri, 04 Feb 2000 02:34:09 +0000 Peter Larsen <ve6yc@home.com> writes:

> Hi All:
> Could some one please send me the recommended lengths
> of guy wires to break up resonance.
> I know this has been discussed here before, but I just get lost
> in the archives.
>
> Finally the 100 foot guyed tower is going to go up!
> --
>  Peter J. Larsen
>  VE6YC  DO21wc

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!