[TowerTalk] Rohn fiber insulators

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:13:43 -0400

In the modeling for high band beams I have done with induced current on
guy wires, the following combination methods seem to get the most bang
for the buck, varying by what one has to pay for stuff, whether you have
insider/free access. Note that it's the 1/2 wavelength plus metallic
right under the antenna that does the most damage. All metallic right at
tower is insulated at the tower.

Philly for first 33 feet, then unbroken metallic. 45 feet is somewhat
better for 40 meters.
21 ft fiberglass insulator, then 11 foot metallic, then regular
insulator, then unbroken metallic.
three 11 foot metallic sections with insulators, then unbroken metallic.
21 ft fiberglass insulator, then unbroken metallic.
two 11 foot metallic sections with insulators.

First option is a lot of value out of 100' of Philly.
Last two options not much help on 40 meters.

The ARRL published figures for non-resonant sections are ineffective on
metallic guys directly under an antenna, because the current is
unequally induced across it's length, and the current does not
distribute according to the classic halfwave sinusoidal form. The 27
foot length directly under the antenna is PARTICULARLY ineffective on 10
and 15. The only metallic length worthwhile directly under a beam is 3/8
wl, 1/3 wl or less at the highest frequency in use.

73

Guy Olinger
Apex, NC, USA