[TowerTalk] Guy wire resonance

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@easystreet.com
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:55:24 -0700

Tom Rauch wrote:

> > 1/4" EHS    $0.189/ft
> > 502 insul   $5.50
> > Big grip    $6.00
> > (1650ft * $0.189) + (48 * $5.50) + (120 * $6.00)
> >  = $1296
>
> > EHS costs can go lower as you can shop around: there are various
> > commercial sources and, albeit limited, hamfest-type availability for EHS
> > stuff.  If you're in a hurry, then, well, this is somewhat moot.
>
> As you point out, EHS and the other materials are available for
> much less than in the example above. My last purchase of grips
> was at $1.65 each, my last purchase of 502 insulators at just over
> $2 each.
>
> I would like to use non-metallic guy lines, but the price keeps me
> away!
> 73, Tom W8JI
> W8JI@contesting.com

Tom has found very good prices on guy hardware, indeed!  Better than my costs as a
dealer in most cases.  I suspect the grips he found for $1.65 each are not really "Big
Grips" like Rohn sells but rather the utility version that are a little shorter and MUCH
cheaper, but certainly adequate for ham towers.

I can provide 502 insulators for $5.00 each and GDE-1104 Utility Grips for 1/4" EHS for
$2.70 each.  I would also recommend using End Sleeves (GC-65136) on each guy grip
whether Big Grips or Utility Grips at a cost from me of $1.67 each.  End Sleeves were
not included in either of the above estimates of guy wire costs.

Shipping costs are not included in any of my prices, above.

All of this stuff is on my web page:

http://www.reprise.com/antronics/default.asp

Antronics of Oregon, Inc.
Stan