[TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:17:39 -0600

Ron,

Your point is valid ONLY if the block and tackle is between the
support and the load.

If the block and tackle is between the puller and the gin pole rope,
the tension in the puller's rope is reduced by the mechanical advantage
but the load on the GIN pole remains at 2X the weight of the Load
plus friction losses.

Broad statements without clarification can be VERY misleading
and incorrect if applied universally.  This is were accidents happen
and people get hurt.

de Tom  N4KG

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001  "Ron D. Rossi" <rrossi@btv.ibm.com> writes:

> [...]
> >
> > For the standard Rohn Gin pole this is NOT how it works
> > and the argument proposed by some here that a mechanical
> > advantage between the puller and a standard single pulley
> > on the gin pole provides a load readuction for the gin pole is
> > FALSE.
> >
> > My arguments ASSUMED a typical Rohn Gin Pole with
> > a single pulley at the top.  Yes, a multi-pulley system
> > can be configured to provide a mechanical advantage.
> > We really must keep our apples and oranges separate :-)
> > Sorry if there was some confusion between these two
> > different types of pulley arrangements.
> >
> > Tom  N4KG
> >
> > On Wed, 13 Jun 2001  David Robbins <k1ttt@berkshire.net> writes:
> > > i have not had a need to do it, but a 2:1 arrangement would also
> be
> > > easy to do.
> > > all you need to do is tie one end of the rope to the top of the
> > > pole, run
> > > through a single moving pulley where you attach the load, then
> go
> > > through the
> > > normal gin pole pulley and back to the ground.  of course it
> takes
> > > 50% more rope
> > > than just going up and over the gin pole pulley.  why not DOUBLE
> the
> > > rope you
> > > may say??? well, think about it... in the normal setup you go up
> the
> > > tower and
> > > back down to the load.  with a 2:1 setup like this you go up the
>
> > > tower, down to
> > > the moving pulley, and then back up to the top... so you only
> have
> > > one extra
> > > length going up the tower... each increment in mechanical
> advantage
> > > adds one
> > > more length equal to the max lift height to the length of rope
> > > needed.  so a 3:1
> > > advantage only needs 2x the rope as the 1:1 normal use of the
> gin
> > > pole.

> high
> > > enough above already
> > > control both vertical and
> > > doesn't imply any particular lifting
> > > device integral.

> tackle
> > > setup is another device that can
> winch
> > > fitted to a gin pole.
> > >

> > > --
> > > David Robbins K1TTT
> > > e-mail: mailto://k1ttt@berkshire.net
> > > web: http://www.k1ttt.net
> > > AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net

> > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
> >
> > List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this
> summer? Call us
> > for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting
> towers - up to
> > 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us