[TowerTalk] Sinking Tower...

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:53:56 -0600

GOOD  POINT  Stan.

That reminds me of when I was installing one of my tall towers.
I kept cranking on one of the turnbuckles but it never seemed to
get tight.  I suspected the anchor might be moving and sure enough,
when I grabbed it, I could move it several inches up and down !

Fortunately, I use TWO anchors in each direction on my tall towers,
subscribing to the philosophy of Never relying on ONE of anything
if at all possible when your life could be on the line.

It turned out that I have underground water in places and that screw
anchor happened to find one of them.  I believe I moved the anchor.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 Stan or Patricia Griffiths <w7ni@easystreet.com>
writes:
> Just as a precaution, I would measure the amount of anchor rod above
> the surface and
> check it periodically, just to make sure the anchors aren't slowly
> pulling out of the
> ground.  If the tower can sink, I would be concerned about the long
> term effect of a
> constant pull on an anchor in the same soil.  I may be all wrong
> here, but it doesn't
> cost anything to check it once in awhile . . .
>
> Stan
> w7ni@easystreet.com
>
> David L. Thompson wrote:
>
> > N4KG is right on the downward thrust on the tower base.  I
> remember the W0/5
> > in Louisiana telling me that sinking tower bases is very common in
> BC and SW
> > and his tower base sank 2 inches per year.   He was involved with
> a 1000
> > foot tower and they put down a pier of
> > concrete and gravel below the actual base.   I think N4KG's advice
> and
> > resetting the guys will suffice for a guyed tower.   On a crank up
> like I
> > have there is an adjustment on the base pins (made from 1"
> universal bolt).
> > There is 3" of bolt above the concrete base and I have a big
> wrench made by
> > Lou Tristao that I use to adjust the level.   A crank up should be
> as close
> > to level as possible!  I adjust mine each spring and then adjust
> the guys
> > (If you have a guyed crank up).
> >
> > Dave K4JRB
> >
> > List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this
> summer? Call us
> > for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting
> towers - up to
> > 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">
> > www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
> >
> > -----
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk
>

> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer?
> Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers
> - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!