[TowerTalk] Braided Ground Strapping

Kevin Hemsley Kevin Hemsley" <kev@ida.net
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:01:22 -0600

I have always considered braided strap attached to copper tubing or a flat
copper buss to be the preferred method of grounding equipment.  Although I
did find the notes on grounding in my Ameritron AL-80B manual interesting:

"The best materials to use for ground connections are (in order of
effectiveness) smooth wide copper flashing, copper tubing, or solid copper
wire. NEVER USE BRAIDED OR WOVEN CONDUCTORS UNLESS THE LEAD NEEDS TO BE
FLEXED.  Braided or woven conductors offer a much higher impedance to
lightning and RF than equivalent solid conductors."

The "NEVER USE BRAIDED OR WOVEN CONDUCTORS"  part caught me off guard  the
first time I read it.  It kind of "shook my faith" as it were, as my brain
stopped paying attention before my eyes got to the "UNLESS THE LEAD NEEDS TO
BE FLEXED." part.  I had never considered braided ground straps to be
inferior to solid copper wire for grounding.  I had also never considered
that there might be a measurable impedance in braided ground strapping when
compared to solid wire.  I am curious to hear what others thoughts are on
the matter.  Does it really make a noticeable difference to use solid wire
as opposed to braided strapping?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on using a flat copper common buss, as
opposed to copper tubing?

Kevin Hemsley
kev@ida.net
KB7TYA