[TowerTalk] Cablevision cable

Paul Christensen paulc@mediaone.net
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:08:56 -0400

In the cable-TV industry, 3/4-inch 75-ohm hard-line is referred to as "750"
owing to the 0.750-inch outside cable diameter.  Generally, direct-bury
cable-TV hard-line is "flooded" with silicone gel and is suitable for bury
without the use of a flexible conduit, although many systems may use both.

During the past four years, the majority of the U.S. cable-TV industry has
been upgrading and rebuilding its cable infrastructure in order to
accommodate the hybrid-fiber-coaxial (HFC) advanced digital services,
including high-speed Internet (HSD) and the new telephony-over-cable product
(DTS).  As part of the ongoing upgrade, much of the coaxial cable system is
replaced.  However, in the case of my company, all existing hard-line cables
are frequency swept and TDR-inspected in order to make the financial
decision of whether to replace the cable or retrofit existing cable into the
HFC design.  Cable that is replaced does not meet the TDR and sweep
requirements, which is generally a function of the age and surrounding
environment of the cable.  Typically, replaced cable TV hard-line is over
15-years old and some may be 25 years or older.  Aerial cable that is
installed near the coast lines is suspect and usually has a very short life
span.  I would never use this cable under any circumstances.  Flooded
direct-bury cable seems to withstand the soil conditions fairly well and may
make a good candidate for use at H.F. frequencies.  In any event, I would
first sweep and TDR any cable that was removed from existing cable TV plant.
It was replaced for a reason.

-Paul, W9AC