[TowerTalk] 40M FD Antenna & CQ Article Reference

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:04:07 EDT

                        Field Day or Base Antennas
     The Post below on 40M FD Antennas created a lot of response to me for
which I appreciated.  In the July CQ p44 a "very timely article" appeared
that "paralleled exactly" the very suggestion I gave.  It's called "A Large,
Remote-Tuned Loop for HF DX" by R Stroud W9SR.  It used a fancy remote tuner
also for 160-6M.  An open wire line 137' long into the shack into a Johnson
Match Box would work just fine also except on 160M.  I've modified a Match
Box with 2 toroid wound coils on each end of the 80M tank coil at right
angles to the tank coil that could be shorted out with a knife switch and I
paralleled a 100 uufd vacuum into fuse clips.  I use an open box on all my
tuners and have no TVI even on 6M.  It can then be used 160-10M for this
antenna.  I have a 6M only Match Box.  This antenna is what I call a "Tuned
Log Periodic."  With a Match Box and if you can match the Z at the "end of
the feedline," you can use it on "any frequency" in between the ham bands
like for the SW bands to make use of the "progressive gain" and "lower angle"
all around the loop as you use it progressively higher in frequency.  The SW
BC stations really boom-in.  Before the Match Box it was very slow tuning up
various antennas with plug in coils and switching between "Series and
Parallel" before the Jones Micro-Match SWR Bridge and then out of the ham
bands.  You had to keep data for each frequency.  I used a Grid Dipper and
Antenna Scope (50 ohm RF Wheatstone Bridge) to get a 50,75,100 or a 300 ohm
match.  Before that the Surplus Command Transmitters like the BC696 for
80/75M and adjacent frequencies sometimes VFO modified and the BC-459 for 7-9
MHz that I modified also for 20&15M using a buffer tube.  This provided a low
power RF source with the variable link for quick tune ups using the 300 ohm,
50 and 75 ohm "Twin Bulb SWR Indicator" I built right in a dielectric slot I
carefully cut with a Pen knife in 50&75 ohm coax.  Before that you "tuned by
ear dB's" out of the ham bands.

There is no simpler way to get horizontally polarized gain on the low
frequencies.  The author found DX routine on 40M and not unusual to open the
band(s) with 135' on a side.  That is routine with great antennas.  With the
270' per side model, DX could be a whole lot easier on 80/75M in particular
at 100' high.  It's a great DX listening antenna with the mostly even
patterns all around progressively higher in the band.  What a listening
antenna for 6M DX--from all directions.  Are you getting the picture of what
a great antenna is?  I don't recommend so-so antennas.

In absence of light poles, 3 or 4 trees can usually be found on FD to throw a
line over with the "Wrist Rocket."  Back in SD prior to 1956 I lived on main
street and 300' from the railroad.  I used high elevators for 2 of the
supports and regular light poles for the other 2.  I lived 600' from the ball
diamond and used the poles in the winter time.  I was the pitcher for the
Town Team and never even had to ask to use them hi.  Open wire line is a
"great and inexpensive feedline."  You don't have to worry about feedline/SWR
loss or antenna length and it's complex Z if you know how to use tuners that
certain TTer's have problems with.  I haven't found a feedline load that
couldn't be matched with a change of the number of turns in the link, tank
coil or in a few cases a reversal of the Differential Variable Leads.  I had
a dual switch that could switch in different lengths of feedline but the
Match Box did way with that for all practical purposes.  Remember this:

"If you can match the Z at the end of the feedline, you will have 100 percent
transfer of power to the antenna less the losses in the tuner and feedline.
If the tuner coil is cold to the touch (with power turned off) you have a
very efficient system.  No more TT coax loss charts are needed.  Coax is just
an unbalanced fad Art Collins designed for using a Pi Network (just kidding).
 The 50 ohm output rigs have created a huge antenna tuner market in the shack
for coax but the coax still has progressively higher loss with SWR which is
certainly negligible with open wire line.  Long Live Open Wire Line and the
Johnson Match Box--With Modifications."  (Old K7GCO Axiom)

 The CQ article shows the E-plane and ground reflection patterns on all bands
along with the very impressive and progressive gains and their angles.  His
patterns are a bit different from mine as he fed it off center some.  The
only TT Nit Picking that can be done is, it didn't show patterns for 17&12M
but one could interpret them.  He installed 4 telephone poles that gave a 54'
height.  They were quickly installed at $150/hr with no concrete in the
ground expense or water on the legs to ever worry about.  I suggested in the
available football field light poles for this very antenna only one size
longer cut for 900 KHz.  The higher light poles would lower the CQ article
angle data even more on 80-6M and would perhaps be a disadvantage on FD and
SS contests (try different heights during the contest) but even better for
DX.  It wouldn't be used in the BC band but the gains would be one more notch
"progressively higher" on each higher band which is very useful on 160&80M if
you can use 270' on a side +/-.  A 1 WL horizontal quad at Fo gives a "figure
8 pattern" broadside and reflecting off the "reflector ground" really gives
it a big "Jump Start" straight up and out and does a great dominating job
locally and out a fair ways.  But at 2F (2 WL and longer) and higher in
frequency, the free space pattern is "end fire" with 1.6 dBi free space gain
and about 6.5 dBi at 50 degrees 54' high after ground reflections.  The
270'/side version would have a similar end fire pattern on 160M which is very
useful--gain on 160M.  The reflective gains increases progressively to a very
high 15.27dBi and the angle lowers to about 5 degrees on 6M.  The authors 1st
contact was on 6M with 5W with WP4O in Puerto Rico who could not even be
heard on his trusty 5 element at 45'.  I worked 6M DX using a Harvey Wells
TBS-50 on AM into a similar antenna.  Things like this happen when you have a
great antenna with what I call the "K7GCO RF Clout."  Would you believe the
angle is so low (in particular if mounted on 100' light poles and the "K7GCO
2X" version is used) it kicks up dust--RF Dust that is.  You can see the RF
Pattern in the RF Dust Devils.

135' on a side (average) can be obtained in many locations using trees and
I've used it as low as 20' with great results on 160 and 80/75M 3 years ago.
In SD I ran it across the street to 2 trees just to keep my back yard clearer
for 4 other antennas.  Review the article give this antenna a try.  The
higher it is the better it works higher in frequency for DX.  K7GCO

   In a message dated 6/26/01 8:36:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time, n4kg@juno.com