[TowerTalk] Coax Rating

Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS w2cs@ipass.net
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 08:35:18 -0500

Ted,

Be careful.  Yes, I have had a meltdown as you call it, using some
hamfest-grade RG8X on a 100 ft run feeding a 1/2 wave on 40.  The power into
the feed line was likely about 700W.   I don't know whether this happened
while operating on 40 or 15.  And here's the caution...you might squeak thru
with a perfectly flat SWR.  But with 3/2 waves I'd bet you will not have
that.  Any SWR will significantly increase the probability of zapping the
line.

As I recall, the rating is about 300V across that foam dielectric.  Less
sure of that than the above. I believe RG58 is actually more forgiving than
RG8X in terms of power handling.

I'm using RG8 now, with a convenient tree to help support the weight so the
antenna doesn't have to see it all.

73/Gary W2CS