[TowerTalk] EF-420/240

Dave, AA6YQ dhb@mediaone.net
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 15:16:31 -0500

Sorry about your disk problems; I hope you were able to recover most of your
data.

I have a D-model 420/240 at 80', 10' below a 4BA. My QTH is outside Boston
(FN42).

Pro's:

  -- no mechanical problems since installation 3 years ago (tomorrow's
Nor'easter may be a challenge...)

  -- outstanding 20m performance

  -- effective 40m performance

Con's:

  -- difficult tuning and relatively low F/B on 40m

  -- sensitive to rain and snow static

If I had to make the choice again, I'd consider the 520/340 for its better
40m F/B. Having just moved to New England when I selected the 420/240, I was
more concerned with survivability; at the time, N6BT suggested that the
420/240 with a 30' boom would be the better choice. The 520/340's boom is
36' in length, but I've since seen no reports of mechanical problems with
this antenna.

	73,

		Dave, AA6YQ