[TowerTalk] TicRing / C31 or 19 XR info?

Glenn Rattmann k6na@cts.com
Sun, 04 Mar 2001 10:21:50 -0800

At 02:06 PM 03/01/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>If you go with the ring rotator you will have to do some finessing with
the ring part to make
>it work smoothly. I had to grind the outer diameter of the ring to make it
round
>and I had to file the teeth of the gear on the inside of the ring to get
>constant engagement with the motor. Put the ring rotator together on the
bench
>first to get it to work properly then do a trial assembly on the tower at
a low
>height to make sure all the parts clear the tower. I had to do some mods
to get
>clearance between the ring and the tower. I also had the grind the slots
for the
>motor to get full contact with the motor gear and ring gear.

Wow.  I don't know the current retail price of this machine (I assume they
are a kilobuck, or more...), but an additional price is described in the
paragraph above.  If this customer's experience is true, and typical, the
manufacturer probably needs to go back to the drawing board, or improve the
manufacturing process.

If this were a commercial-to-commercial product, I doubt he could hang on
to his customer base for long.

I guess that's why they call us amateurs.

73,

Glenn K6NA