[TowerTalk] Elbow connectors

Gary McDuffie, Sr. ag0n@arrl.net
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:59:10 -0700

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001 18:26:54 -0500 (EST), Tim Totten, N4GN wrote:

> I remember a very similar problem at VS6WO a few years ago.  We had all
> kinds of weird intermittent problems until we replaced a 90-degree elbow
> connector.  When we dissected it with a hacksaw, we noticed the center
> conductor was a VERY thin (light guage) spring.  It looked like the
> filament from a cheap light bulb.  Steve said he had bought that generic
> connector in some local electronics market.

> The lesson I took away from that experience is to spend the few extra
> pennies for quality connectors, especially for any elbows.

I remember a story some time back about an elbow from Ratshack that
damaged a vhf rig for the same reason.  At VHF, the coil spring making
up the center conductor was an inductor.  Nice!

I never ran across one of those myself, but started checking every elbow
I found to be sure it was made by Amphenol.

Gary

ag0n at arrl dot net
http://mcduffie.ws