[TowerTalk] 20 Meter

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:23:13 +0100

A 5% loss with 1500W is 75w but with amateur duty cycles the wasted
energy (joule) it's practically a lot less.
Expecially if considering that joints are typically in open air, mostly
connected or being part of big heat sinks like booms or anyway large
tubings, hardly the surface themperature would raise to cause permanent
damages unless an arc takes place, but losses (if any) stay there and
eventually get worse with time because of oxidization.
Another point that I've well clear in my mind is that things runs
consistently different at 1.8 than at 28 MHz and not all the 160m
experiences scaled to 10m do replicate with identical results.
Concerning the gamma (a matching sysytem that doesn't really transform
a dipole unbalanced and involves two reactances) it's true that the
current in the capacitor is not more than the current in the 50 ohm
line, but it's true also that dielectric losses add to ohmic losses of
joints when frequency raises.
Since 1500W correspond to 5.5A @ 50 Ohm, if the overall current
decreases from 5.5 to 5.35 A because of the combination between small
ohmic losses and small dielectric losses, the power gone is anyway in
the range of 0.25 dB, although nothing is practically noticeable.
Stated a boom lenght, obtained similar gain, similar pattern and BW
with two yagi antennas of different design, one fed direct at 50 Ohm
and the other with a lower fed point impedance, it's evident the
matching losses (if any) can't be in the yagi that hasn't a matching
device.

73,
Mauri I4JMY