[TowerTalk] Rope suggestions?

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:16:42 -0500

I'd like some rope suggestions.  I don't want to use EHS or Kevlar.

I have a 265 ft wire antenna fed with RG-8X that hangs out over a farm
pond.  To get it "decently" horizontal, it is under a great amount of
tension - as much as one man can pull and then some - I've used a garden
tractor to pull it up at times.  The last one stayed for about 3 yrs
despite Indiana winters and spring storms held only by nylon rope.

I'm getting ready to put it back up again and want to use the best ROPE
possible.  What would you suggest?  Is Dacron the best overall choice?
I do need a balance between weight, strength, and cost.  My situation
requires 70-100 feet of rope on each end to get to the trees and down.
If you have a specific supplier in mind, please mention the URL.

Thanks - This probably has been covered in general before, and I'd
expect some disagreement, so please reply off the list.  73

John - WA9ALS - VP5RY - VP5/WA9ALS
http://www.qsl.net/wa9als
wa9als@starband.net