[TowerTalk] Re:[Tower Talk] Tower Base Construction

teamw teamw@quixnet.net
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:40:25 -0500

I agree with Joe Mowery AG4BW concerning hole digging safety. I am a retired
EMT and here in sand based Florida there are frequent collapsed trench
emergencies. Usually contracting companies and municipal workers are
involved, who should know better. They are frequently fatal.
Not shoring up excavations for the sake of convenience can be a serious
mistake. As noted by AG4BW, collapses can be sudden, soil (even sand) is
heavy and restricts movement and the weight of soil on the chest will
virtually prevent breathing (even if there was any air to breath down
there). By the time your buddy on the rope has dug you out or has alerted
the rescue services and they are on the scene it is too late in a high
percentage of incidents. Its no fun scooping sand from someones nose and
throat to try to establish an airway on a body thats been under the heap for
too long (more than 5-6 mins.)

>From my experience, back filling around a concrete block in sandy soil using
a water hose is a good way to restore the soil consistency to near that of
the undisturbed areas. Judicial tamping and water probably will help with
other types of soil as well.
de John AB4ET
teamw@quixnet.net