[TowerTalk] Re: Digging Holes

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:32:05 EST

In a message dated 3/22/01 9:52:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, wy6k@yahoo.com
writes:

> What's wrong with just having the backhoe dig a hole
>  as close to those dimensions as possible and use a
>  little extra concrete?

    Well, since your chances of having the backhoe over-excavate are about
90%, that's what happens as a practicality anyway.

    My point was that the factory specifies a certain, very
difficult-to-install hole and most hams are going to try very hard to do
EXACTLY what it says. So what happens is that they either won't know how to
do it or do something dangerous like being in the hole in order to dig it.
For your typical amateur, he doesn't have the knowledge or experience to
understand this - all he wants to do is get that hole dug out and there may
be possible serious consequences.

>  Admittedly, I think we overdid it here.  The hole came
>  out about 4.5' x 4' x 7'.  Backhoe operator thought he
>  had done me a favor by making it bigger than requested
>  for no extra charge!  But we just rebarred it all up
>  and pored.

    I've almost NEVER had an excavated hole come out to the dimensions I gave
the backhoe operator; they are just not capable of precise digging. It's not
the operator's fault - some of those guys are real magicians. Rarely do you
find cooperative soil that won't slough to some extent.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech