[TowerTalk] Beverage antenna question

Rick Bullon kc5ajx@hotmail.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 05:06:45 -0000

Hello All
I am still in the process of constructing my antenna system. I have the base
in and I only need to put the beams together an erect the tower ( waiting
for decent warmer dry weather :) )
I have been looking into putting up some beverage antennas for use in
contests. My problem is room ( anyone not have this problem? :) )
I have 5 acres in the country the plot is 550ft NS and 375 EW the NS
boundies are fixed by a road to the North and a creek to the South.
The EW line can be extended as my mother owns the 5 acres next to be to the
West. I can not erect beverages in any other directions because of the
position of the house and the XYL's gardens.
My problem is that the NS beverage will be only 50' of the tower. I think
this might be a problem as I plan to shunt feed the tower on 160 and hang a
dipole for 80 from the tower, until I can get something better, the acreage
to the west is empty land and owned by a guy who never comes out to the
property ( I have only seen him 2 or 3 times in 15 years) so I might be able
to put the beverage just over the property line until he finds out about it.
I don't know how to get a hold of him so I can't ask permission worse case
is he will tell me to get it off his property and I will do so if and when
asked.
Another problem is the north end of the NS beverage terminate under the high
power lines running along the road. Could this cause problems with line
noise?
Should I feed both the EW and NS beverages from the point where they meet at
the SW corner of the property or feed the EW one from there and the NS from
the North end of the North end under the power lines?
Is this a worth while project or will the beverage be too short to be worth
while?I plan to use them for receive only on 80 and 160.
Your opinions on the subject are must appreciated and valued
73
Rick
KC5AJX
P.S. if it makes any difference the tower will be 70' of 25g with a stack of
TH6's at 35 and 70 ft, a Force 12 EF 240X at about 80ft. Tower with be shunt
fed for 160, 80 meter antenna still not decided on yet most probably a 1/2
wave inverted V for now