[TowerTalk] Grips vs. clamps?

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:25:41 -0600

Tom,

I have seen two towers fall over due to guy wires
pulling free from clamps (2 ea).  Clamps need to be
inspected / tightened annually.  I suspect temperature
cycling plays a role in them working loose.  You would
have to drop one end to reach clamps positioned midway
at insulators, a real pain for maintenance.  Non-galvanized
clamps WILL RUST in time.  Rohn recommends 3 clamps
plus "serving" of the ends, another royal pain.

Several years ago, two 80 ft trees fell against the top guy
of my 130 ft tower after a small tornado.  They guys held
the trees up!  I use Preformed Line Products "Dead Ends"
exclusively.  They are MUCH easier to install and have
ZERO maintenance.  You can save a few bucks by
ordering direct from PLP in Cleveland, Ohio at (216) 461-5200.

The 3/16 inch Big Grips (BG-2142) come in boxes of 100 and
the 1/4 inch Big Grips (BG-2144) come in boxes of 50.
They will break boxes down to smaller numbers for a
modest charge.  You may want to also install "ear clamps"
over the ends of the grips to prevent unraveling from ice
since you live in the North.  Be sure to specify shipping
via UPS.  You don't want to have to pay trucking fees!

de  Tom  N4KG

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001  Tom Mattus <wa9wsj@yahoo.com> writes:
> Hello Gents,
>
> I'm planning my tower systems, (two), and would like
> to learn the best method for cable terminations and
> why. Clamps or grips? The cost of materials between
> the two methods is close, so that's not a factor.
> Longevity and SAFETY are! So, what is the collective
> opinion?
>
> Thanks!
> Tom

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!