[TowerTalk] COAX connector heating

Bill Hider n3rr@erols.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:36:13 +0100

Any "warm" coax in the shack is problematic.  It's a symptom of some
resistance to ground within
the feedline system and that's not good.  That means some of your power is
being dissipated
inside the shack, instead of making its way to the antenna.

Think about it.  A dummy load gets warm because the load resistor is
absorbing the
power that is being transmitted to it via the feedline.  If a coax
cable/connector is
getting warm, it means that some power is being absorbed near the "warm"
part of the coax.

I do not know anything about the Delta-4 antenna switch, but I would tend to
agree with W8JI that the switch is a suspect.  I'd also check any additional
adapters (right-angle adapters, etc) that may be in the line.  If you have
any
non-Amphenol right-angle connectors, they may have gone "bad". (Their
construction
is the problem and another thread we can get into later.)  The switch may be
the type that
grounds the unused positions and that "logic" may have gone "bad" as well.
Feel the switch,
is it warm? Is the "warm" feel band-dependent? Remove the switch and connect
directly to the
antenna feedline with a double-barrell connector. Then run full power for a
while.  Is the coax warm then?

You need to isolate this problem.  No coax in the shack (or elsewhere -
except at a dummy load)
should be warm due to transmitting.

Bill, N3RR