[TowerTalk] Cleaning connectors

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 02:28:46 EDT

In a message dated 5/1/01 8:42:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time, wx3k@ptd.net
writes:

> What is the recommended method to clean heliax cable connectors ? I have one
>  connector that is tarnished compared to the other cables I have

    Hmm...that's a new question. You only have to worry about the spots where
the connectors make electrical contact. How bad are they? What's the
material? I think most commercial Heliax connectors are brass. Are they
N-connectors or UHF (PL-259)? Actually unless they were REALLY in bad shape,
I wouldn't worry about it. The outer shield should be electrically and
mechanically connected by the threaded part of the connector so the threads
will make good electrical contact as you install it. You might want to touch
up the center conductor with a little abrasive but that's about it.

Cheers,     Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com