[TowerTalk] Alternative tower coatings

ValErwin@aol.com ValErwin@aol.com
Thu, 3 May 2001 21:42:00 EDT

Dan/Stan:

Food For Thought:

This tower painting issue keeps coming up agn and agn. As the youngest guy in
our local QCWA chapter, I tend to do a lot of tower work for those that are
no longer able to climb. Over the years, I have seen many repainted towers
painted with paints of all kinds - some obviously wrong.

Some of these repainted towers look great! But, it is what I can't see that
worries me on some of these old towers. As an example the exterior surface
may look great but the inside of the tower tubing may have decreased to 0.5
of its original thickness due to rust! Of particular concern is the bottom
concrete stub section to which all water can run, collect, etc. -- Painting
an excessively rusted tower might be compared to painting a termite invested
house --

There is a need for some way of easily/inexpensively performing a
qualitative/quantitative test(s) to see if the tower is even worth painting
or if it should be taken out of service for safety sake -- a go/no-go test

Hmmm ??

Val
W5PUT

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,