[TowerTalk] Rotator Control Bulbs

Dale L Martin kg5u@hal-pc.org
Thu, 3 May 2001 21:25:15 -0500

> The Ham-M, Ham II, and Ham III used brown (sometimes black)
> plastic boxes for housing the control unit, I believe.  I
> any case, I have one of those cases  with a couple of melted
> places where the bulbs are.  Now I suspect that some of the
> higher powered bulbs were installed and heated the case to
> the melting point . . . something to consider when choosing
> replacement bulbs.
>
> I just happened to remember that I had modified those
> control units to indicate direction all of the time so those
> bulbs were lit 100% of the time.

An additional consideration relative to keeping bulb brightness low is that
many of us (or am I the only one?) like to operate in low light conditions
in our shack.  During a contest, my cantilever desk lamp has a 25watt bulb
providing just enough illumination for me to see the keyboard and radio's
controls easily, yet keep the place from blazing brightness.

A bright control box bulb may be a supernova burning away a spot of cones
and rods in the back of your eyes in such low light conditions.

:-)

73,
dale, kg5u

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,