[TowerTalk] need a tv rotor control box

Tom Hix W4TH w4th@webtv.net
Fri, 4 May 2001 05:44:39 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Yall;
I need a good used (cheap) Alliance U-100 or U-110 rotor control box to
turn my 160 receive loop. If anyone has an extra I would sure appreciate
them contacting me with their price including shipping to Boaz, Al.
35957
By the way, for those of you who are not able for whatever reason to put
up any Beverage receive antennas, I would highly recommend the 160/75
receive loop.
The one I have is set up for 160 only. It is made from PVC spreaders and
20 ft of RG59U coax. The design for the antenna is in most of the recent
ARRL Antenna books.
I am handicapped and cant walk to get out and put up antennas like I use
to, so I have to compromise on many different antenna designs and types.
I know a Beverage antenna a couple of wave lengths long is hard to beat
when it comes to pulling out those weak 75/160 meter signals, but I tell
you this little 5 ft. square (diamond) shaped antenna ain't bad. It sure
beats what I have been using.
My transmitting antennas on 75/160 are both ladder line fed. I have a
160 inverted vee and a 160 full wave loop. Of course these antennas are
not exactly great Dx low band antennas, but since I am not able to put
up a vertical antenna because of my health, I have to use what I have.
I was trying to work a G-lander the other day on 160. I couldn't hear
him at all on either my inverted vee or my full wave loop. I switched
over to my little 160 receive loop. Nothing.....but then I said "well
stupid maybe you need to rotate the antenna a little more that
direction". It was side ways to G-land at that time, so I pointed it
toward the N.E. To my great surprise the signal slowly started to creep
up out of the noise. Mind you it was not a 20/9 signal, but the
signal/noise ratio is really great on this little loop. I was able to
hear the G-lander 100% with about an S/3 signal. Oh by the way, this was
SSB not CW.
I have no delusions of ever getting DXCC on 160 with my current antenna
situation being such as it is, but if you are like me and enjoy just
trying to see if you can work an occasional 160/75 DX station, this
little loop may be what you are looking for. It has really helped me.
But alas my 30 year old rotor control has died, and I need another so if
you can help me it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and 73
Tom
W4TH

Be sure to visit my web sites.
Tom's Tubes. We now carry the finest antenna tuner and antenna switches
ever made....BAR NONE!
http://www.tomstubes.com

Ham Radio Homepage.
http://www.geocities.com/bamagramps/