[TowerTalk] Using extra anchors

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sat, 5 May 2001 03:56:26 -0600

Two more comments:

If you MUST assemble the whole tower and lights
on the ground, then USE  A  CRANE  to lift it in place.

I know this relatively safe for 50 - 60 ft of Rohn 25.
I would be concerned about possible buckling with
90 ft unless at least two lift points were implemented.

Second, my 4 and 5 ft screw anchors with 6 inch plates
are in heavy clay soil.  For your "crumbly" soil,
Longer (5 or 6 ft anchors) with larger plates may be
more appropriate.  With two anchors per direction,
put the lower two guys on the first anchor and the
top guy on the outer anchor.

de Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.