[TowerTalk] Joined Guys

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 9 May 2001 20:28:55 -0400

> Tower installation is not my area of expertice,but I hope someone can
> help with a concern I have. The company I work for recently had three
> guyed towers installed. I noticed that a large portion of the guy
> wires are actually two pieces that have been joined together. I some
> cases they are bolted together and in others simply spliced and
> wrapped together. The installer claims that this is normal, common
> sense tells me it can't be.

There are some clamps that can be used to join two sections of
guylines, but they are special and not commonly used. Look at
utility wores, and you might see a few examples of these clamps.
Some are like two flat long plates with multiple bolts, and some are
like a large solid sleeve.

If the fellow used normal saddle clamps he is lying through his
teeth.

Splicing just by wrapping is a definite no no. It is not correct, and it
is very unreliable.

Personally, I've never seen a tower with spliced guy lines w except
in an emergency repair. It sounds like the fellow is making up
stories to justify using scrap lengths of line. It certainly is NOT
normal, and almost certainly is asking for problems. If he did that
with the guy lines, you can bet he screwed up the rest of the
installation.

I'd get it inspected by a real professional.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----