[TowerTalk] AC power

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Sat, 12 May 2001 13:04:42 -0400

For a LONG run to a tower  (like my almost 300') I will bury a length of
UG 10/2 w/g (in the same trench)  out to the tower. I will terminate it
out there in a box with a ground fault socket/breaker, bonded to the
tower ground. At the house end I will terminate it with a splice to a
short length of # 12 w/g extension cord stock, and a regular 20A 110 AC
plug. Will leave it coiled up hanging on the garage wall until needed,
at which point I will just plug it into the 110 on the garage wall. I
will have a female extension there that has all three conductors
attached to the outside ground at the house. Plugging the two together
will keep the conductors grounded between periods of use.

It's a fancy extension cord with GF protection at the tower, and wire
gauge heavy enough to avoid significant voltage drop over 300 feet of
conductors if you try to run something heavy at the tower end.

Since it's not hooked up to the AC at the house unless being used, it
doesn't have the problem with propagation of noise off the AC mains.

73, y'all.

Guy Olinger
Apex, NC, USA