[TowerTalk] GM Hazer with guys

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 14:14:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/01 10:42:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
w7ni@easystreet.com writes:

> I find this to be an interesting conflict.  If you look in the Rohn book,
you
>  will see that ALL fifty foot 25G towers have TWO sets of guys even at the
> lowest
>  wind speed of 70 mph.  Glen Martin says one set is usually enough.  So now
> we
>  have two manufacturers with conflicting advice . . . how do we apply the
LXC
>  Prime Directive to this situation?

    Hmm, I don't like the above "usually enough" statement.

    Nonetheless, you follow the Rohn specs for Rohn products and you follow
GME specs for GME products. You DON'T follow GME specs for Rohn products.

>  As for taking ALL three of the guys off of 50 feet of 25G to lower a
Hazer,
> that
>  would make me VERY nervous since Rohn says the maximum height for an
unguyed
>  Rohn 25G is 40 feet and that is with only 1.5 square feet of antenna on it
> and
>  then only in the lightest wind areas.  I realize you won't be intentionally
>  lowering your Hazer in the wind, but it still makes ME nervous since I am
> not
>  that good at predicting unscheduled wind gusts . . .

    For once, I totally agree with Stan. I would NEVER suggest anyone drop
the tower guy wires no matter WHAT you're doing. That's (one of) my complaint
with the Hazer.

    While I haven't specifically heard of any Hazer accidents, IMO it's a
miracle no one has been killed or injured with the Hazer system. Anyone got
any horror stories?

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----