[TowerTalk] thoughts about property layout

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sat, 26 May 2001 15:44:37 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/01 11:20:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time, n9rla@yahoo.com
writes:
<<
 I have an almost identical situation here.  The power feed from the pole to
 the weather head at the house runs diagonal across the back yard of my tiny
 lot.  At my place, the line is only about 10 feet above ground for a good
 portion of the run, and passes through the limbs of a couple of large maple
 trees on the property.  I've been considering complaining to the utility
 company [city of Scottsburg, in my case] that it is a safety hazard being so
 low and accessible.  I'm concerned about neighborhood children climbing the
 tree and coming in contact with the wire.  Not to mention I would like to be
 able to put antennas in the back yard!

 Sounds like burying the cable is the way to go, but right now the $$$
 prevents it....

 73
 Dan

 Dan Evans N9RLA
 444 Lynhurst St.
 Scottsburg, IN 47170
 {EM78}
 1/2 of the N9RLA /R no budget Rover Team
 Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
 http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
 InHam list administrator
 QRP-l #1269

10 years ago City Light here in Seattle would bury the lines free if I dug
the trench.  I just needed an electrical guy to come in to change the panel
as I also had 3 phase run to my house from a block away also.  I had 3 phase
motor for my lathe and mill and some 3 phase power xformers.  I'd bury power
lines even if I had to pay a fair amount.

My new QTH has the power line buried for a couple of miles along the road and
to my house.  I spotted this a mile away with binoculars when I noticed this
modern house with no farm buildings around it with a Shelter Belt right where
I would have built a house if I could have put it anywhere I wanted.  I
thought I had died and gone to heaven.  No power lines for miles will allow
me to use kite and balloon antennas safely and should cut down the noise.
The ground conductivity there is some of the highest in the US.

However from the 1st day I dealt with the Real Estate Agents to 11 loan
people I have dealt with more outright crooks than I have in years.  They
tell you one fee and then send papers for another on and on hoping you won't
see it.  Even when you "warn them" not to pull anything one still tried to
slip a pre payment penalty of $2500 past me on the last of 15 papers I had to
sigh at closing.  Not signing cost me another month and some delay problems
but I don't like being "financially blackmailed".  She is in big trouble now.
 k7gco

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>