[TowerTalk] Base section question

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 27 May 2001 10:58:53 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/01 5:26:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time, w5kp@swbell.net
writes:

> s there any reason why a person should use a Rohn 5' base section to bury
>  in concrete versus using a standard 10' section buried in concrete? As far
>  as I can tell from my Rohn catalog there's no physical difference in the
two
>  except for length. Does anyone know of a difference? My reasoning was that
>  if I used a 10' section instead, I would have about 6' of known straight
leg
>  to work with in tweaking it to perfectly vertical, versus having to bolt on
>  a piece on top of the base section to work with, and dealing with the
>  inherent uncertainties of the bolted joint, verticalness-wise.

    It's 5 of one and 10 of another. If you use a 5-footer, you wind up with
all complete 10 foot sections when it's time to remove the tower. If you use
a 10-footer in the concrete, you've got to chop it off and you wind up with a
tower 5 feet lower next time you put it up.

    Don't forget to put 4-6" of gravel in the bottom of the hole and set the
section directly on the gravel so the legs will drain of water condensation.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Talk

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">