[TowerTalk] Yaesu G1000DXA Kfactor

stuart Browne satcom@lava.net
Mon, 28 May 2001 20:13:12 -1000

My G1000DXA turns my F12 C4XL with ease and has been a very nice rotor. I had a HDR-300
but that monster didn't  fit well in the top section of my LM-470 and it got jammed on a
crank down and caused my cables to break. The Yaesu has been absolutly great and it
turns the C4XL like a TV antenna ...very fast and I like the display..

Aloha and 73's,
Stu --  WH6H

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have followed with great interest the discussion about using a Yaesu
> G1000 with a Force 12 C31XR.  I am unclear as to the use of foot- pounds in
> expressing the K factor Yaesu has calculated for safe use of it's
> rotors.  It is confusing for those who cannot convert easily, and each
> added step adds a factor of uncertainty.
>
> According to the Yaesu manual K is calculated by the multiplication of the
> turning radius of the antenna (in meters) by the weight of the antenna (in
> Kg), and the weight of the mast (in Kg)
>
> C31XR:  5.9 m x 37kg (assume negligible effect of mast)= 218= K factor
> ,  well within limit.
>
> In addition to this calculation one must ensure the square meters of wind
> surface area do not exceed 2.2 m2--in this case the wind area is .989
> m2.  Less than half the 2.2 m2 limit in the rotor manual.
>
> My brother, who is a mechanical engineer ran several calculations on the
> G1000 and believes it easily capable of handling even the 5BA by Force 12.
>
> Good luck to all in putting together your tower/antenna, and rotor
> combinations!
>
> 73 de Frank, kb8xu
>
> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com">
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us