[TowerTalk] Crimp connectors [Was Crappy PL-259s]

blueis@sprintmail.com blueis@sprintmail.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:37:08 -0500

>   [BIG snip]
>
>  "The use of crimp PL259 is wonderful!"

Sorry, guys...  I have to disagree about the use of 'crimp' RF connectors.

By definition, a crimp connector is a mechanical (AKA compression)
connector.  It relies on the compression to maintain physical contact
between the connector and the medium.  This physical contact is the sole
basis for BOTH electrical contact and physical strength.  Do you use
crimp-on (no solder)fixtures for your water service at your house?  No?  Why
not?  Rely on crimp (no solder) connections for your wire antennas??

Sure... these two issues (water vs. electrical) are not the same.  But there
are several aspects that are pertinent in both cases.  What if you run high
pressure through a crimp-on water fixture??  Better have your raincoat on!
How does high power react to crimp-on connectors??  Oh....  you use the
arcing to burn off the oxidation that develops on the metal under the
crimp?!?  I see.  Makes sense to me!

As for me... I use crimp-on connectors.  I use them for Romex wire nuts,
door bell wiring, and splicing into battery circuits.  Remember:  pinching
pennies is a compression connection.

Gary B
k3gb

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,