[TowerTalk] please advise on terminated vee beam design

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Sat, 03 Nov 2001 07:17:29 -0800

A friend, N5RM in north Texas built a beautiful array of sloping V beams
which covered all directions. The center was at 200ft and the low ends
came to 8 ft posts. A wire ran down each post to a large power
terminating resistor and to ground rods. It sounds like a dream array,
however he told  me it was not nearly as effective as he expected. He
felt that it needed a ground screen beneath it.
  My ARRL Antenna Book is 17th edition also. It mentions loss at the
ground termination being a problem and suggests a radial system.

73, Dan, N5AR

Don Hall wrote:

> Con,
>
> I don't have a new one, but the 17th edition of the ARRL Antenna Book has a
> discussion of the terminated sloping V on page 13-9. Suggest you look at
> whatever edition you have.
>
> 73  Don  K5AQ
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com