[TowerTalk] please advise on terminated vee beam design

Chris BONDE ve7hcb@rac.ca
Sun, 04 Nov 2001 17:41:10 -0800

At 03:16 AM 2001-11-04 -0500, K7GCO@aol.com wrote:
>I heard back then some one had patent of some kind on the termination concept
>and RCA wanted to use it without paying.  This story doesn't sound right.
>Anyhow whoever wanted to use it without paying royalties came up with another
>way to terminate a Vee Beam.  They dropped a wire to the ground at the end of
>the Vee Beam and then laid it on the ground for about 200'.  This seems to
>work but it's not a purely resistive termination and can vary from band to
>band.  There are several ways to compensate for this and/or improve it.  At
>the ground secure point, running Nicrom wire on the ground for say 200' is
>more resistive.

There was a patent on a terminated inverted "V".  I use to have a copy of
it.  It was and end fed inverted "V" with the far end terminated with a
non-inductive resistor.  To improve efficiency, I believe, it was suggested
to run a wire from the grounded terminated resistor under the antenna in
the gound back to the gounding part of the feed.

There is another terminated antenna in a vertical format.  Part of the
tuning is a line running from the base of the vertical to the shack to a
type of tunning circuit.  I have never heard any comments thereon.

I would suggest that a line running under the antenna joined to the
grounding termination and to the gounding feed would be more efficient than
jus using the earth, soil for the gounding circuit.

Chris opr VE7HCB

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----