[TowerTalk] Electric Fence Wire For Radials !!

Tom Anderson ww5l@gte.net
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:04:39 -0600

Also check with your local telephone/utility company about salvage, end of roll
wire, etc.  Southwestern Bell Telephone used to have a salvage store in North
Dallas (Carollton or Farmers Branch suburb) where you could buy everything from
desks to any kind of wire you could imagine, even hundreds of feet of the 22 or
24 gauge inside house phone wiring.  Best deals were on the flat silver & copper
braid that ranged from about 1/2 inch to 3-4 inches wide.  I bought one 40 ft
roll of the 3 or 4 inch wide braid for about $2.  It looked like they'd use a few
feet off of a roll and then discard it for some reason, maybe not enough to do
the next job an installer/repair person went on.

The store was open only one day a month to outsiders and was always full of hams
when I went.  They even had old leather pole climbing belts and leg spikes, but I
rather risk my life to a newer belt than some of the leather cracked ones they
were retiring. Also they had the thick rubber gloves for working around higher
voltage lines, although I'd want to fill a pair with water and check for pinhole
leaks before risking my life with them.

Tom, WW5L