[TowerTalk] 40m 4square - factors relating to gain

Joe Subich, K4IK w8ik@subich.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:31:39 -0500

Tom,

> I would expect, based on what I see here, that on 40 meters a
> good high dipole could actually be a bit better for gain than a four
> square.

Since I'm planning an antenna installation I did some modeling of a
Cushcraft D-40 (half a 402CD) at 60 feet over poor ground (Diel Const
= 10, Cond = 2 ... sandy Florida soil) vs a four square with 60
on/in ground radials per element.  The loaded dipole was about 2 dB
better (at the same take off angle) than the four square (and a full
size dipole would have been even better).

The difference is enough for me to decide the four square isn't worth
the effort on 40.  One of the common loaded/shortened two element yagis
looks the winner unless one is on an ocean beach.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----