[TowerTalk] Antenna interaction question=6m Raibeams Dec 73 mag

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 03:26:39 EST

In a message dated 11/12/01 9:45:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wa9wsj@yahoo.com writes:<<
 Gents,
  I'd like to mount a 6 meter verticle ringo, just above
 my 7 element 6 meter horizontal beam. They will not be
 used simultaneously, but rather, switched between the
 two. Will there be any detrimental effects from one to
 the other? I'm thinking because of the opposite
 polarized planes, it should be minimum or will there
 be an appreciatable amount of capacitive
 coupling/loading to cause problems?
 Thanks!
 Tom

Tom: A vertical monitoring antenna on 6m is a good idea over a high gain beam
or ones with good F/B as you can miss openings without it   It attenuates
local stations ground wave signals that remain mostly horizontally polarized.
 The Ringo unfortunately has a large amount of RF Spill-Over--Big Time.
Radials 1/4 wave below the Ring will kill it.  .

 Back in SD I worked a 6m W8 station with a Halo on the side of the tower
below his 20m beam with a good signal.  I asked about it and he said "he had
it up for 25 years or so and he could work 2 grid squares ground wave."  That
caught my attention as that's not all that easy with a beam.

So I took a AEA 6m Halo and added a Clements Match to insure I didn't have
any RF Spill Over.  The AEA version has a no Xc gamma where the gamma wire
has to be in exactly the right critical place or the SWR goes to hell.  Even
pushing on the Halo with a stick changes the SWR quickly as does just
touching the mounting point which means all kinds of RF Spill Over down the
coax and mast/tower.

By balancing the 2 feepoints of the Clements Match on each side of center and
adjusting the series Xc for 1:1 SWR, it's possible to touch the center
mounting point iwth your hand or a mast and have no change of SWR or RF down
the mast/tower.  It kicks butt mounted on a tower and in particular over a 6m
beam 10' and is very quiet.  It's a great Monitoring Antenna.  I've done a
lot with a 1/2 wave vertical with no RF Spill Over over 2 different 5 element
6m beams but I prefer the Halo.  When mounted high on top of an already
existing structure it hears a lot of weak signals.

My next plan is to stack 2 of them about 10' apart and have the lower one 10'
above the horizontal beam.  One could point forward and one to the rear to
fill in the weaker part of the patterns or both pointed the same way.

In the Dec issue of 73 there is a detailed report on the 6m 5 Element Raibeam
and 2 2 element Raibeams vertically polarized 10' apart 10' below.  The 5
element forward lobe is sharper than the K8CC 5 element version and the F/B
is the best I've seen all the way around for any high gain beam.  You really
need a Monitoring Antenna with this beam as you will miss many signals off
the back and side on 6m in particular on the DX Monitoring Frequency.  This
became obvious when rotating the beam and "signals literally leaped out ot
the noise."  Not many hams ever experience this concept with conventional
beams.  There were many other performance surprises also.  There was nothing
to suggest there was a signal there before rotation.  With the 1/2 wave
vertical on top I could hear them where I couldn't with the back or side of
the 5 element Raibeam.

This Monitoring concept was particularly evident on 6m with the Raibeam and I
have noticed it on 20-10m with 3 element beams and a 1/4 or 1/2 wave
monitoring vertical on top of them.  I am going to switch to Halo's using a
Clements Match on 20-10m to see how it plays.  On 20M being of the same
polarization it will have to be mounted at least 20' above the beam where a
vertical antenna base can be mounted close to the DE.

Clements had his match in QST about 35 years ago and it kind of fell by the
way side unfortunatly.  His version was a bit crude but it worked.on 10M--or
any band.  It shows up on a commercial beam from time to time  There are
cleaner ways to construct it.  He tells of not hearing his wifes sewing
machine motor using it as he did with the gamma.  That's an "impressive test
or result" that illustates it's doing the balancing act few matching systems
actually do.

Rush to the stands and get extra copies of the Dec 73 issue.  There is some
great photography in it also.  It cost a lot of money and time to prepare.
K7GCO

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----