[TowerTalk] 40 meter 4 SQR performance

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog@aol.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:55:31 EST

Greetings TT's and BLT's

Well, I have very good experience utilizing my comtek coupler controlling my
40 meter 1/2 wave dipole array.  The F/B varies with conditions but ranges
from 10-25db while tx signal reports compared to my Butternut HF2V vertical
over an extensive radial system average anywhere from no difference to up to
2 or so S units.  The vertical never beats the 4SQR, period-

The vertical is 50 feet from the shack while the 4SQR sits on a 65 foot tower
350 feet from the shack.  My loss is around 40% from the shack to the 4SQR,
and only about 10% from the shack to the vertical.  So side by side, with
equal lengths of COAX, the 4 SQR would be a big winner-

Like others, I think the 4 SQR's big advantage is instant switching for
direction but it seldoms outhears my beverages.  In LP conditions, both my 80
meter and 40 meter 4SQRS, out perform the beverages, but they are equal in RX
in most other conditions with the beverages prefered due to the attentuation
on most QRN sources.  The wire 4SQR is also a very durable antenna compared
to other verticals and beams in severe wx conditions-

I will admit, at first, I was real dissapointed with the 4SQR perfornance
over the single vertical, but overtime, having the 40 meter 4SQR for certain
condx has been a great relief, especailly when I worked VU2WAP for my last
QSO needed to complete my 5 Band WAZ.  I worked Miku on a IC756 with a
partially blown out front end but was still able to hear him whispering in
the low static thanks to a decent 4SQR.  I was not hearing him at on the
beverage-

Now if I could only get my 160 meter Inv L tx antenna to work as well as the
beverages hear-  Thats the true test of antenna design- With 160 acres of
prairie, mostly on a slight incline above the surrounding area, I have a
great location for rx antennas.  No trees, just lots of grass under the
wires.  Might go to a 160 meter 4SQR now that the ARRL has a bandplan in
effect that is in one word, AWESOME!

If you use a comtek 4SQR and note a loss in performance and/or F/B, I suggest
looking to see if your dummy load is still hooked up, test for power
dissapaiting into the dummy load, check to see if your rig's RX antenna jack
is on by mistake (I always forget about this thinking I'm switching my 4 SQR
rx when all I'm doing is hearing the same beverage antenna) and all feedline
connections.  I have yet to experience complete loss of F/B when I've checked
for these errors.

73  Paul  N0AH
 the Furthest SE W7 stastion in the World!!!
 (ok, ok, so I only have 50 confirmed on 160, I'm trying, ok? Someday, I'll
get there-)

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----