[TowerTalk] 80m Vertical ssb/cw switching

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:23:47 -0600

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001  Stephen Reichlyn
<Stephen.Reichlyn@ryansci.com> writes:

> Tom:
>
> If you had your choice, would you make an 80M (cut to 3510) vertical
> the  correct length and use a transmatch to operate on 75M (3890)
> or cut the vertical  for 3890 and use the transmatch to tune on 3510?
>
> 73, Steve AA4V

Hi Steve,

It probably doesn't make much difference.  If you tune
it for SSB, you could add a small coil to tune for CW
using a aligator clip or leave the coil in place and short
it out with a wire / clip or relay.

If I didn't want to switch at the antenna, I would tune
it for CW and use a tuner on SSB.

My 80M wire vertical has a double dip at 3525 and 3800.
It consists of one half a bow tie, 62 ft high with 2 ft separation
at the top.  I used a wooden spreaded and supported by an
upside down Y and a rope over a tree limb. It is fed with 1/4 WL
of 50 ohm RG58 followed by 400? ft of75 ohm CATV line to the shack.

I'm copying my answer to TowerTalk
since this question has broad interest.

Tom  N4KG