[TowerTalk] Equipment grounding - in shack

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:49:15 -0500

> Just finishing up my first station install. Have a "single point
> ground plate/bar" wall mounted just above and behind the operating
> position. Desk is an old computer/printer stand made out of metal -
> surface, sides, legs, back, etc., with 2ftX4ft surface. Figured on
> grounding it too. Opr position is in basement.

As Steve points out, single point grounding is best used at the
entrance of the building. The power, telco, CATV, and amateur
cables should all be grounded together to a common ground at the
entrance point.

It also is a good idea to ground all equipment that is susceptible to
RFI ingress or egress in the shack, but a single point ground is not
necessary. The idea in the shack is to not have RF voltage
differences between pieces of gear, and to help keep the cases at
the same potential for low frequency AC and lightning.

The shack normally does not require a single point star grounding
arrangement, a simple wide flashing or buss with each major piece
of gear tied to that buss is enough.

The last thing you generally want are isolated major pieces of gear
on the table, like rigs, amps, and tuners. Small controls without RF
sensitive active electronics inside generally make no difference one
way or another.

> Had always read that everything should be grounded to this single
> point. Looking at my RCS-4 coax switch, MFJ P/S, and Ham rotor
> controller I don't see any "Gnd" connection points provided - yet
> their diagrams show "earth ground" symbols. What is the drill here?
> Just remove a screw from the covers and insert a full ring connector
> for a ground wire to then be run/attached?

You could ground that stuff that way if you like.

> Ground array "outside" is cross-connected to all others present (like
> power service and tower, etc.) except the Telco, per some advice from
> their engineers. Used #4 solid Cu for short lead to single point
> plate, bolted solid now. All mech type connections in the system - no
> solder.

Odd they gave you that advice. Here as in most areas, it is
REQUIRED that telco and power mains grounds be bonded outside
the building! I've never seen it otherwise, unless it was a mistake.

If they have a separate ground for the telco, they are begging for
house fires and other problems when lightning hits.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----