[TowerTalk] measuring elevation

EUGENE SMAR SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:33:22 -0500

BTW:

     The surveyor's stick is called a stadia rod.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Scace <eric@k3na.org>
To: Bill Ralston <n7vm@lgcy.com>; towertalk@contesting.com
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thursday, November 29, 2001 9:29 AM
Subject: [TowerTalk] measuring elevation

>   A stretch of garden hose (or several hoses connected together, or any
other length of tubing) makes an excellent elevation
>measuring device.  Lay it out along the ground with the ends sticking up in
the air.  Water inside the tube will be at the same
>elevation at both ends of the tube.  Measure the height of the water in
each end above the ground and you will be able to determine
>the difference in ground elevation.  (You might need a ladder at one end if
the ground drops off quickly!).  It only takes one
>person (with a bit of care) to make the measurement.
>
>   At the opposite end of the scale, my all-time favorite high-tech field
measurement device is a special surveyor's GPS receiver.
>The receiver not only measures the time differences between the various
satellites like every other GPS receiver, but also
>calculates the actual wave front corresponding to the time ticks and then
computes the phase difference of the radio signals

http://www.anwireless.com

>-----
>

>List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
>Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
>supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!
http://www.anwireless.com

>-----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----