[TowerTalk] Re: homebrewing short yagis

Dan Evans n9rla@yahoo.com
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 21:09:04 -0700

Hi Again,

I guess I should have explained things a little better, third shift will do
that to your thought process after awhile:-)

The reason I'm going with a 6' boom with shortened elements on 6 meters is
this will be a "mobile" antenna.  It is pretty uncommon for me to turn the
beam while in motion, but I want to keep the turning radius and wind loading
within reason.  I'm looking for better performance than the omni loops, but
a full size yagi and even the moxons that I have built are a bit too bulky.
And I prefer to stick with horizontal polarization, I've used verticals
before but not with much success.

Also, I wouldn't begin to call myself an expert, but I have built lots of
antennas before.  Mostly yagis for 6 and 2 meters and wire antennas for HF.
But I've never built any "shortened" antennas, so I would like to learn
about that particular aspect of the Black Magic involved:-)

Thanks for the help,
Dan

Dan Evans N9RLA
Scottsburg, IN 47170
{EM78}
IN-Ham list administrator
QRP-l #1269
1/2 of the N9RLA /R no budget Rover Team
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
http://www.qsl.net/n9rla