[TowerTalk] Repeater / VHF Stack - Mast help needed

kd4rwn@bellsouth.net kd4rwn@bellsouth.net
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 10:09:48 -0400

On 3 Oct 2001, at 0:26, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/2/01 9:05:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> kd4rwn@bellsouth.net writes:
>
> > Total Winload of the system is about 4.5 Ft or so. A few
> >  concerns/questions came up.
> >
> >  What Mast to use for this?
>
>     Okay, I give up. What's the windspeed you need to design it to? Even if
> it's high, your antennas aren't big enough to be much of problem. But can't
> recommend anything without the design windspeed.
>
>     If you don't know your county windspeed you can look it up at  <A
> HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.championradio.com</A> under Tech
> Notes.

>     Okay, I give up. What's the windspeed you need to design it
to? Even
>     if
> it's high, your antennas aren't big enough to be much of problem.
But
> can't recommend anything without the design windspeed.
>
>     If you don't know your county windspeed you can look it up at
<A

HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.championradio.com<
/A> under Tech
> Notes.

ok. The lookup says my county is 100 MPH. So that would be the
goal (Any storm/hurricane with winds above this sustained would
likely take all the towers anyways..). So even though the windload
is only about 5-6 ft -The fact that the mast-repeater antenna would
be almost as tall and/or approaching the towers' weight depending
on the mast - matter? The other thing is this isent a "textbook"
installation of Rohn. 1 of the guys comes at the tower from a funny
angle compared to the other 2 for one thing.(Result of the roof
shape). Just trying to carefull in this upgrade....

thanx for the help..

73

Ulysses Rodriguez - KD4RWN
President - University Of Central Florida ARC (K4UCF)
Member: ARRL, FCG, WWYC # 77
kd4rwn@arrl.net

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----