[TowerTalk] Force12

Jon Ogden jon.ogden@cain-forlaw.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:46:03 -0500

The fact is, DON'T worry about it.

2:1 SWR is not a magical number.  It's a typical industry standard but when
a person gets over the fact that it's not a big deal then you can move on
and enjoy the antenna.  Having a high SWR doesn't mean the antenna's
performance is not good.  All it means is that the feedpoint impedance is
not a perfect 50 Ohms but rather another value.  This value could be 25 Ohms
resistive, 100 Ohms resistive, 50 Ohms resistive with a purely reactive
content.  The bottom line is it doesn't matter.  In a 2:1 environment, 88.9%
of your power is still radiated by the antenna.

And anyhow, SWR is greatly affected by things such as proximity to objects,
height above ground, etc.  Any of these could make your SWR better or worse
regardless of feedline length.

As far a specs go, SWR should be spec'd at the antenna feedpoint and based
on a free space environment.  Of course, both of these are realistically
impractical and impossible, but they provide a standard basis that is
applicable everywhere.  Real world values can come close but won't be exact.

So it matters not one little bit of the SWR is 2.1:1 with 20 feet of cable
and 2:1 with 100.  Yes, the loss in coax makes the SWR look better.  BUT WHO
CARES.

If the antenna works for you, then great.  Use the minimum amount of
feedline possible.  If the SWR isn't to your liking, then use a tuner.  If
performance isn't to your liking, move the antenna or get a new one.

This crucifixion of a company because they recommended a 100 foot feedline
is ridiculous.   Shame on F12 for ever suggesting it.  They probably thought
it was no big deal since by the time you take cable runs into account and
any kind of height, 100 feet is a pretty good estimate for the average run
of cable that "most" hams may have.

73,

Jon
NA9D