[TowerTalk] Trauma as a teacher

Guy Olinger, K2AV k2av@contesting.com
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:12:51 -0400

This is too easy...
-----------------

Guy Olinger, K2AV
Apex, NC, USA

----- Original Message -----
From: "tttt ccccc" <k3hx@juno.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trauma as a teacher

> "Modeling tells us what SHOULD happen.  Rigorous experimentation tells
us

> what DOES happen."

We have never done much until we got our models to where they predicted
what DID happen. A good model is a law of nature that has finally got
handles. It allows us to explore dark corners just not possible with cut
and try.  For ten thousand possible junk designs there is one good one
that we can find directly with a correct model. The technological
explosion of the second half of the twentieth century is a stark
monument to this.

> That one is not original, I don't recall the source.

Everything was original sometime.

> My favorite, however,  should be emblazoned on the masthead of certain
> magazines
>
> and web sites that cater to the amateur radio community.
>
> "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."   Carl Sagan

Everything goes down or up with one piece of *irrefutable* evidence,
even if we stumble over it in the dark and realize we had been seeing it
every day of our lives.

> Peace Be With Thee,

And with thee.

> Tim  K3HX

Guy  K2AV

> CW Elitist FISTS Contest tomorrow 1300-1800 EDST

Wedding in family tomorrow

> QRP Snob Except on 160 where my too short antenna radiates just
>
> slightly better than a load resistor.....HI!

QRO Snob. I can break pileups with a load resistor.  It's all technique
anyway.

> Old Fart QRV 1964

Old Fart QRV 1958

> 20 WPM Extra Since 1986

20 WPM Extra Since 1963

All that means is that the odds are that I'll be stretched out on a cold
slab before you will.

Remember, your children will get to see wonderful things you and I will
not. They will also get the opportunity to figure out whether we and our
time were worth a plugged nickle. It is not a good idea to look down
one's nose at the young.

Ham radio was never so sweet as the first time I heard my call sign
being sent back to me over the radio. I was only 14 with a novice
license for 2 days, and barely able to copy 10 wpm.