[TowerTalk] Is it worth it to move 2El Quad from 50ft to 100ft?????

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:34:11 -0600

John,

Your C31XR at 110 ft is very close to 3 WL high (105 ft).
A 3WL high antenna on 10M has a first lobe centered
at 5 degrees (3db points 3 and 8 degrees) and a second
lobe centered at 14.5 degrees (3 dB points 11 and 17
degrees).  There is a significant NULL from 8 to 11 degrees.

When 10M is wide open my 40 ft high antenna
(with 3 dB points at 6 and 19 degrees) plays very well.

Most Europeans are using fairly LOW antennas which
concentrate most of their radiated power at higher angles.

An MUF of 50 MHz will support a 20 degree takeoff
angle on 10M.  It is highly probable you are working
them on your SECOND lobe from 11 to 17 degrees.
It is not surprising that the 7 elements of your C31XR
provides more gain then the 2 effective elements of your C4.

A 10M beam at 80 ft has a significant NULL from 11 to 16 degrees.
As I have mentioned numerous times, my TH6 at 80 ft
almost never beats my lower antennas.  For that reason,
I expect that when 10M is wide open to Europe, most of
the signals are arriving at my QTH at 11 to 16 degress
which can be covered quite nicely with a LOW antenna.

Tom  N4KG