[TowerTalk] Rotator Brake noise on CW

EUGENE SMAR SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 22:40:15 -0400

TT:

      Here's a new one.  As I was swinging the D40 dipole around tonight,
trying to zero in on a UA6 in the lower end of 40, his CW note got slightly
raspy when I depressed the brake switch on the Tailtwister control box.  Not
enough to distort the signal into obliteration, but enough that I could hear
it as maybe a T-7 note.  I tried a few other S4-S7 stations and they all
sounded the same with the brake depressed - a slight amount of raspiness.
Likewise, the raspiness was also superimposed on SSB signals higher in the
band.

     FYI:  The rotator is about 20 feet below the dipole on the mast and I
use RG-213 coax to fee the antenna.  Rotator control cable is ordinary
8-conductor stuff, but I did wind a four-turn solenoid in the control cable
pigtail lead just underneath the rotator (as I had planned to do to put some
inductance between a lightning strike and the innards of the rotator.)  Xcvr
is a TS-570D, and I haven't tried listening on my R-4C yet.

     Is this symptomatic of an incipient failure anywhere in the rotator
system?  Or is this something harmless I'll have to live with?

     Thanks in advance.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,